Sunday, December 13, 2009

eBay is eeeevil!

No shooting today, just a fair bit of eBay madness. I've augmented my FD collection by three.

First up, a 28mm f/2.8 prime made by Sigma, which should be nice for landscapes (and the inevitable posed group shots that people seem to force upon me from time to time). I would have preferred a Canon lens, but I'm willing to give this a shot.

Next we have the Canon 135mm f/3.5 which should suit me well as I like to do really close-up portrait shots. It's a little slower than I'd like, but I can't really complain since it's a 135mm lens. I find a little distance is useful from my people subjects so I can grab unposed shots before they realise they're being photographed and put on some awful pose face. I realise this sounds sneaky but it seems to be the only way to get the shots that I really like (which I will generally show people after the fact if I can). And often, the subjects really like them too. ;)

Lastly, moving toward the realms of the crazy, I also bought a Sigma mirror lens, with a focal length of... wait for it... 600mm! Now since I haven't won any lotteries recently there are obviously some drawbacks to this deal ('cause, you know, the Canon 600mm f/4L IS _would_ be preferable... *grin*). The mirror lens design means you get a fixed aperture (f/4 in this case) and not-so-nice bokeh in the form of little donuts if you happen to chose the "wrong" background. But... 600mm! On the upside, it's not as heavy or big as you might think.

The grand total for all this manual-focus mayhem? Around $A200. Now I just have to wait for it to show up... Looks like I'm getting a little carried away with this FD thing... (not to mention the film thing!)

No comments:

Post a Comment