Saturday, December 12, 2009

Band in a boat

Had a fun afternoon with some friends of mine, known to fans as John Flanagan and the Begin Agains (http://www.myspace.com/johnflanagansings). John asked for someone to help out on a photo shoot - holding a reflector or whatever. Of course I volunteered as I hadn't seen these guys in ages and... well, it was a photo shoot, so a great chance to observe a professional in action.

Turned out the light was such that a reflector wasn't needed, so I was free to shoot alongside the "real" photographer, mirroring the shots she took on her Mamiya and doing "behind the scenes" type stuff too. And I had a ball - shot mostly B&W film - I thought the 1600 ISO I had loaded up in the EOS 5 would be excessive but I think it worked well, especially since the EOS 5 will do shutter speeds up to 1/8000 (it didn't blink at me once). Also shot some slides (50 ISO Velvia!) and a bunch of frames on the 350D. Oh, and a bit of AE-1P action for good measure to finish up a roll.

The locations were great - an old convent (where I had wandered earlier with the AE-1P) and later on down by the river, with the band in a rowboat! The day's highlight was the band floating by looking somewhat regal, John standing up in the back with his banjo. Kudos to the photographer for that particular bit of vision and planning - the boating theme really fit the old-timey/bluegrass feel of the band and putting the banjo in the boat was just gold. And thanks for letting me shoot too - looking forward to getting that film processed.

No comments:

Post a Comment