Saturday, January 16, 2010

Fun wth Infrared

Infrared photography has been on my list of things to do for a little while and this week the correct celestial alignment presented itself. Basically I picked up some Ilford SFX 200 from a bargain bin of expired film thinking I'd try something new. I thought it was just another black and white film but it turns out this one is a little different in that it's sensitive to infrared light.

So I asked the friendly photography store people what I needed to use it and they found me a relatively cheap ($A40) 52mm Hoya R72 filter. I was intending to use this film in my AE-1 Program and this size fits most of my FD lenses. It's also significantly cheaper than the 58mm R72 and fits the [f=]50mm EF lens for my EOS cameras.

And in fact, that's the only lens I've tried out with this filter so far since it's much easier to whack it on my 350D and play around with exposures on a digital camera than to shoot a roll of film and hope that I got something right. Happily the 350D's sensor is also sensitive to IR light and it doesn't get filtered out on the way through.

The filter seems opaque just to look at and once on the camera it makes the viewfinder completely black, unless you point it at the sun (with some leaves in the way for a nice effect), like so (f/4, 1/125):

IMG_5136.jpg

With no sun in the frame things are trickier as you really can't see what you're shooting, but I seem to be able to guess OK. When I shoot the film I'll most likely use a tripod, frame the shot with the filter off and only put the filter on for the actual exposure. Meanwhile, the near-instant feedback on the digital camera, not to mention the inexpensive medium of compact flash, makes experimenting easy. Here's another experiment without the sun in the frame, shot at f/1.8, 1/40 (manual mode is what you want, since the camera's metering is affected by the filter).

IMG_5152.jpg

Obviously these shots are very red (except for the purple trees!), whereas the film will be black and white, but I kinda like it. Focus is another issue to deal with when shooting infrared, presumably because light at infrared wavelengths bends differently to visible light, making the focal point different. In practice the 350D's autofocus still worked sufficiently well for my experiments, but I'll be making use of the helpful red dots on my FD lenses when I try the film...

No comments:

Post a Comment