Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Focus screen blues (continued)

I've been shooting for a while now with a less-than-optimal focus screen in my 350D. As previously mentioned, I had installed an aftermarket split-circle screen in the hope of a better manual focus setup but alas just ended up with something that wouldn't give me the correct focus and was scratched and dirty to boot (my fault).

Well tonight I got well sick of it - it was so bad I was favouring my film bodies over the digital and only using the 350D for throwaway shots, because I could barely bring myself to look through its viewfinder. This was enough to give me the courage to put my factory screen back in. I had attempted this previously (when I first put the split-circle in, actually) but couldn't get the AF points to line up. Tonight, no such problem, thankfully. I did leave out the thin copper shim that was originally in the camera, but things look OK, so I'm going with what I have now.

I'd still love a split-circle, but the one I tried did get a little dark at narrower apertures so I think I'll stick with the factory screen in my 350D and maybe try something else (a different brand, methinks) if and when I finally get something better (my wishlist goes like this: 500D, 7D, 5D... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment